Fat Pad Contusion, or a bruised heel, is a painful injury as result of an acute injury or from repetitive impact on the heel.
What is Fat Pad Contusion?
Calcaneal fat pad contusion occurs when the fat pad under the calcaneus (heel bone) becomes irritated.The fat pads aim is to protect the calcaneus while walking and standing.
When the fat pad shifts around, it exposes the calcaneus causing more pressure on the bone due to less cushioning on the bottom of the bone causing pain.
What are the causes?
Fat Pad Contusion is caused by stress from running, jumping, and changing directions. This can be caused over time or as the result of an acute injury.
However, specific factors may place someone at risk for heel injuries including:
- Poorly cushioned or worn-out running shoes
- Increased in training regime
- Hard, uneven training surfaces
- Walking or training barefoot
- Increased Age
- Being overweight or obese
What are the symptoms?
- Deep, bruise-like pain, usually in the middle of the heel while walking, running, or standing
- White bumps on the side of the heel when standing/weight bearing
- Resting pain and pain at night
Treatment for Fat Pad Contusion
- Custom orthotics
- Gait retraining
- TECAR therapy
- Soft tissue massage
- Activity modification
- Strength and balance exercises
- Footwear education
- Immobilisation of the foot – in severe cases
What can I do at home?
- Resting the foot and limiting physical activity
- Ice if an acute injury
- Wearing loose shoes
- Anti-inflammatories if approved by a healthcare provider
If you think that you may be suffering from a fat pad contusion, or you’re looking for a ‘physiotherapist near me’, our team at Vitalis Physiotherapy can assess and diagnose the condition. They will then tailor your treatment plan to aid in your pain relief and recovery.
All you need to do is just give us a call on 0410 559 856 and request an initial appointment. Please let our friendly reception staff know the background and severity of your condition.
You can visit our FAQs for more information about appointments at Vitalis Physiotherapy.